Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Mother

Director Roger Michell (Persuasion, Notting Hill) redeems himself with this film after a short detour to Hollywood. The story of an elderly and frigid woman's sexual awakening after the death of her husband when she falls for her daughter's unstable lover. Writer Hanif Kureishi delivers his best script since his brilliant debut for Stephen Frear's My Beautiful Laundrette. Michell and Kureishi bravely address the taboo issue of elderly sexuality with care and compassion. Anne Reid and Daniel Craig equally give powerful and honest performances along with a talented cast and crew. YRCinema's coverage of films on DVD.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

please compare to Fassbinder's, Angst essen Seele auf.

1001 Films said...

Thank you for reminding me. I had it in my collection but didn't get to it till tonight. I like Fassbinder's film but the style gets in the way of the drama but it makes sense since he already took a huge risk in that film.